Specific Sinus Precautions
1. Do not blow your nose.
2. If you must sneeze, do so with your mouth open to avoid any unnecessary pressure on
the sinus area.
3. Do not take in liquids through a straw.
4. Do not lift or pull on lip to look at stitches.
5. You may be aware of small granules in your mouth for the next few days. This is not
6. You may have some bleeding from your nose; this is not uncommon and should pass
Notify the office if:
You feel granules in your nose
Your medications do not relieve your discomfort
Take your antibiotics as directed until finished.
1. Start oral decongestant (Sudafed) on the day of surgery and continue for 2 additional days. Take as directed.
2. Start nasal spray decongestant (Afrin) on the day of surgery and continue for 2 additional days. Expect “rebound” nasal stuffiness after the
3. day regimen is complete. You may use saline nasal spray (Ocean Nasal Spray) to help relieve your symptoms.
If you have been prescribed an oral steroid, it is for anti-inflammatory
purposes. Take as directed.
Take as directed. Please contact the doctor’s office if your medication(s)
does not relieve your discomfort.