According to the American Academy of Implant Dentistry, about three million people in the U.S. have a dental implant. The figure is rising by roughly 500,000 every year. Dental implants are a state-of-the-art solution for replacing missing or badly decayed teeth. Implants feel and function like normal teeth. “All-on-4” implants, also known as “same day implants” are one type of tooth replacement procedure that is rapidly gaining popularity.
What Are All-on-4 Dental Implants?
All-on-4 dental implants were created in 1998 by Dr. Paulo Malo. The procedure consists of four implants that replace an entire top or bottom row of teeth. This differs from a traditional teeth replacement protocol, which consists of one implant per tooth. With the “All on 4” method, four fixtures are inserted into the jawbone. Often the permanent prosthesis is placed the same day.
All-on-4 implants also goes by other colloquial names, such as “Teeth in One Day” or “Teeth in an Hour.” This is due to the procedure normally taking no more than a day. Our experienced surgeons can complete the operation itself within an hour or two.
The Benefits of All-on-4 Dental Implants
The many benefits of All-on-4 dental implants include:
- A full set of new teeth in a single day – procedures can be completed in a single visit, though there may be a few follow-up visits required. In any case, a same day smile is achievable.
- A full set of teeth that looks and feels like real teeth.
- No bone graft is required in most instances, though a surgeon may recommend one depending on the health of your bone and gums.
- It’s a permanent solution – the dental prosthesis is secured to your jawbone, so there is no discomfort or shifting.
- Improved appearance – when you lose one or more teeth, the jawbone in the area can deteriorate over time, causing the shape of your lower face to change. An All-on-4 implant prevents bone deterioration.
- The implant prosthesis looks completely natural and virtually indistinguishable from real teeth.
- Enjoy your favorite foods. No need to avoid certain foods because your dentures don’t provide the ample bite force to properly chew and break down solid edibles.
Are All-on-4 Implants Right for Me?
Depending on your specific needs, All-on-4 dental implants may or may not be right for you. An initial examination from our surgeons will determine your suitability. The procedure is for patients with multiple missing or badly decayed teeth. If you only need to replace a single tooth, then a traditional dental implant will be recommended.
Schedule a Consultation
Call Innovative Implant and Oral Surgery if you’re missing one or more teeth or have teeth decay. We can examine your oral health and determine the best course of action. If warranted, we may suggest an All-on-4 dental implant or traditional implant. Either way, we will get your teeth and gums back to good health, and give you a smile that you can be proud of.
- AAID, Dental Implants Facts and Figures, https://www.aaid.com/about/press_room/dental_implants_faq.html
- NCBI, Current Trends in Dental Implants, https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4028797/