After an oral exam, we know how challenging it is to hear there might be an abnormal growth or lesion—which could be cancerous. However, residents of the Langhorne community in Bucks County, PA, can feel confident knowing they can turn to the skilled oral maxillofacial surgeons of Innovative Implant and Oral Surgery. We are focused on restoring your health, as well as the full function and appearance of your mouth and surrounding areas. We use cutting-edge technologies and techniques designed to produce optimal results.
When to seek an assessment
Whether cancerous or not, the prompt detection and treatment of abnormal growths and lesions are of paramount importance. Attending regular check-ups with your dentist at least every six months will aid in the early detection of abnormalities. However, it’s also strongly recommended that individuals schedule an assessment right away if any growths are noted between dental appointments. Take action if you notice any of the following signs and symptoms:
- Pressure or pain
- Jaw instability or changes in bite alignment
- Physical deformities, such as lumps or bumps
- Difficulty swallowing, chewing or speaking
- Areas of swelling, thickening, crusting or roughening
- Chronic sore throat
- Sores that may bleed and do not heal
Innovative Implant and Oral Surgery can perform prompt assessments if any of these symptoms are detected in the mouth, jaw, throat, or nasal cavities.
How to perform a self-assessment
Although your dentist should perform an oral cancer screening every six months, we recommend doing a self-assessment every month to facilitate early detection and treatment. Perform the following steps in front of a mirror:
- Check the exterior of your head, neck, and jaw. Specifically, look for asymmetries, lumps, or any other abnormal changes. Use your fingertips to gently palpate the areas.
- Remove dentures or any other oral devices– and use a flashlight to look at the roof of your mouth. Use your fingertips to palpate. Do the same for the floor of your mouth and the insides of your cheeks.
- Hold your tongue with a piece of sterile gauze. Move it so that you can examine all sides of the tongue.
- Pull your upper lip up, then your lower lip down, checking each time for hidden abnormalities.
Lastly, aim the flashlight at the back of your mouth and say “Ah” to check for abnormalities there. Call the clinic right away if you do notice anything abnormal.
Our oral growth and lesion treatment process
The skilled maxillofacial surgeons at our practices in Bucks County emphasize patient education and proactive patient involvement in the treatment planning process. From the initial assessment to the biopsy to treatment and follow-up, we’ll be there with you to explain what you can expect. It’s our goal to not only restore your health but to help you feel comfortable throughout the process.
Our expertise in surgical reconstruction
In the local communities, we have a longstanding reputation for clinical excellence. We offer comprehensive surgical reconstruction services to patients who have been affected by physical deformities. If your growth or lesion treatment requires removing a large amount of tissue, you can trust our reconstruction experts to restore your appearance as much as possible.
Schedule a consultation
Call Innovative Implant and Oral Surgery right away if you notice any abnormalities. The sooner we can treat your oral maxillofacial issues, the better the outcome is likely to be. Our experts in oral pathology in Langhorne, PA, will make every effort to help you enjoy full function and aesthetics once again.