If you have missing teeth in Langhorne, PA, you’re not alone. About 120 million Americans are missing at least one tooth, and 36 million do not have any natural teeth remaining, according to the American College of Prosthodontists. Tooth loss affects not only your physical well-being but also your emotional health as well.
The good news is that there are multiple treatment options available to you. At Innovative Implant and Oral Surgery, our team specializes in treating missing teeth. We’ll thoroughly evaluate your mouth and discuss your lifestyle and preferences before developing a customized treatment solution that fits your needs.
The many complications of tooth loss
As noted above, tooth loss is more than just a cosmetic issue. It leads to additional health complications. The remaining teeth tend to become misaligned, for example. Patients with missing teeth are also likely to experience the following:
- Gum recession
- Temporomandibular joint dysfunction (TMDC)
- Malnutrition (caused by difficulty chewing)
Further, every time you bite and chew, the teeth stimulate underlying bone mass. If the jawbone lacks the tooth’s stimulation, the bone mass can begin to break down.
Treatment options for missing teeth
The oral surgeons at Innovative Implant and Oral Surgery develop customized treatment plans because every patient’s health concerns and smiles are unique. You may be a good candidate for any of the following treatment options for missing teeth:
- Removable dentures: Dentures are custom-made to fit your smile. They are a popular option, given their affordability. Note, however, that a denture by itself cannot preserve bone mass in the jaw.
- Fixed bridge: A fixed prosthesis can replace one or more missing teeth. It consists of two crowns that fit over the anchoring teeth on either side of the gap. These caps secure the artificial teeth used to fill the gap.
- Dental implants: Dental implants can replace one or several missing teeth. You can even use implants to replace an entire arch of missing teeth.
Patients who choose dental implants are typically very satisfied with their treatment decision. Implants are fixed in place and look just like natural teeth. Because they are anchored within the jawbone, they help prevent bone loss. In addition, dental implants are a long-lasting solution. If you take good care of them, it’s possible for the implants to last the rest of your lifetime.
Dental implants consist of the implant itself, also called the post, which is anchored within the jawbone. Our oral surgeons will place an abutment on top of the post, which secures the crown. The crown is the white part that looks just like a tooth—and it’s the only visible part of the implant. The result is a beautiful, healthy smile that looks perfectly natural.
Schedule a consultation near Langhorne today
You shouldn’t have to live with missing teeth. Treatment options await you at Innovative Implant and Oral Surgery. With convenient locations in Newtown and Feasterville, PA, and a team of highly qualified professionals, our oral surgery practice makes it as easy and stress-free as possible to receive the oral procedures you need to restore your smile. Call us today to schedule a consultation.